Earlier this year ChefQuix told me about a technique used By Jerry Seinfeld to motivate himself to work on his comedy act everyday. With New Year’s Resolutions forming in our heads I thought you might enjoy this habit forming life hack:
- Obtain a big wall calendar that has a whole year on one page and hang it on a prominent wall.
- Get a big red magic marker.
- Choose a daily task you wish to make a habit.
- For each day that you accomplish your task put a big red X over that day on the wall calendar.
“After a few days you’ll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You’ll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job next is to not break the chain.” [via]
Print your own “chain-calendar”
- One Year PDF Calendar
- One Year Printable Webpage Calendar - Adjust the URL to create a calendar for any year.
- loopdo - Online tool to help build good habits
- Joe’s Goals - Online goal tracking
- Sciral Consistency - Windows/Mac program for habit formation